Monday, October 17, 2011

CPD 23 - Thing #21 - Promoting Yourself - Discovering Strengths


I agree with the CPD 23 authors about discovering your strengths to find career satisfaction. I think during my career I have always tried to "follow my bliss." After twenty some years of public school and college teaching I had lost my bliss and decided to go in a different direction.

During my transition phase I came across the "Strength Finder" series and took the test. My top strengths confirmed what I had always known about my self, and that I often tried to fit my square peg into a round hole without ultimate success. My strengths include: learner, ideation, context, intellection, and input. It was shortly after discovering these strengths that I applied to work at the public library, a career that really seems to fit me, and one where I have recovered my bliss.

If you haven't taken the Strength Finder test grab one of the books, read and take the test. It may be a significant reaffirmation of who you are at your core.

No comments: