Saturday, October 1, 2011

CPD23 - Thing #18 - Jing and Audacity

This week's "thing" deals with communicating and possibly training others via two wonderful apps. I have been aware of Audacity and had it loaded on my computer for a few years now. Jing is new to me, but I have already used it to help solve a problem with our new ILS.

Audacity is an audio editor capable of importing several kinds of audio files, including mp3s. One can adjust the volume, tone, and balance of files, and edit out silences and add fading intros and exits. This is how I have used the app over the past few years. I have a new project thanks to a Christmas present, that is transferring my large vinyl collection to digital files. I will use Audacity to create individual track files and then store the files in iTunes.

Of course, CPD 23 is interested in using Audacity to create and edit podcasts. I haven't used the software in that aspect as I have never created a podcast. I don't have the time, nor do I have a unique slant on a topic that would make for a successful podcast. So, I'm not likely to use this product for communicating or training.

Jing I found this software through CPD 23, and installed it on my work computer. Jing allows the user to take screen shots of just the portion of the screen needed, and to make digital movies of screen movements, such as cursors and keyboard entries. As such, Jing becomes a very useful app for training. Currently, I instruct patrons on using our eBook and audiobook collection, and adding OverDrive and Adobe Digital Editions software to their personal computers. I can see how I might create a Jing video to demonstrate the steps. If viewed on a second computer, a patron could mimic what he/she sees on the screen, using the pause feature to implement the action on his/her own machine.

Just this past week I used Jing's screen capture feature to send a shot to our tech service department. We were trying to create a default setup for our receipt printer, who's routine had no save function. The screen capture showed the tech department exactly what our screen looked like. The department was then able to create a solution to our need. Jing made the process very easy. I guarantee that I will use this app more often.

No comments: