Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thing #22 - Downloadable Media

From my previous post you are aware that I love to listen to audio files and podcasts while traveling in the car. So, I was overjoyed to discover Overdrive on the OPL website. My frustration until recently has been that there were no Mac compatible files available. Thanks Judy Anghelescu (and others) for working hard to get Mac titles for us. Hopefully the number of titles and the breadth of coverage will grow over the next few months.

I'm not much of an "ereader" although I have an appplication on my palm pilot and home desktop computer. I tried reading through Shelley's "Frankenstein - or the Modern Prometheus" but didn't like the small screen and constant page turning. I guess, I like books in print better aethetically. However, I do like having the Bible on my palm pilot for quick reference and carrying back and forth to church. It's a lot smaller and lighter than my standard Bible and fits in my pocket.

In regards to downloadable video, I did try to view a streaming movie using my wife's windows laptop. I guess our bandwidth at home isn't fast enough for streaming. I got tired of getting 30 seconds of movie and then a pause while the next segment downloaded.

So, I think it's great to have these ebooks, audiobooks, and streaming movie files available at the library. I think we should do a better job in advertising these services; it's a real plus for many of our patrons.

No comments: