Tuesday, September 20, 2011

CPD23 - Thing #17 - Prezi and SlideShare

SlideShare is sort of a Flickr for powerpoints. I like the idea of people sharing their presentation creations and looking for ideas for making your own. why re-invent the wheel? There are lots of presentations filed according to subject, so searching through endless slideshows unrelated to your interest is kept to a minimum. The next time I have a presentation to make I know I'll search this data bank before starting the writing process.

Prezi is a completely different take on presentations. Rather than using the 35mm photo slide, or sheet of paper, with outlined or bulleted script as its metaphor, Prezi starts with a blank slate that allows you to view text and images at all 2D angles. You can also zoom in and out of text to create focus. As you create a Prezi you are free to post anywhere on your slate and then create a sequential map to get you from spot to spot in order.

As with SlideShare, Prezi has a data bank of stored and shared presentations enabling the newbie to get a better idea of how to create an effective presentation. A word of caution, be careful how you use zoom and side to side travel or you can give the viewer a seasick experience.

I think teens and college students, especially, will love presentations created with Prezi since it gives a new visual metaphor and seems less linear in construction.

1 comment:

Allana said...

I agree with your word of caution. I saw a speaker use Prezi the other day and the movement was a bit too much for me.