Monday, September 12, 2011

CPD23 - Thing #14 - Academic Reference Aids

Thing #14 asked us to investigate Zotero, Mendeley, and citeulike. Zotero, a FireFox browser plugin makes it easy to assemble bibliographic citations in text or in a reference list. This is very helpful for those writing academic papers. Unfortunately, you must use FireFox in order to take advantage of Zotero. Were I to embark on an academic projectg requiring footnotes and reference lists I would seriously look at using FireFox so that I use Zotero.

citeulike also works to create bibliographic citations from website, online documents, and papers. The video presentation wasn't too inspiring and the product didn't seem to fit my need.

However, I found Mendeley very interesting. The product allows you to access academic papers on the web, to form groups around specified research fields, and to access your saved documents from Mac, Windows, or iOS devices. I signed up for a free account and began playing with the app. I found some papers in my field and saved them to my library. I looked for groups in my field (wind band conducting), but wasn't surprised to find none. I allowed the app to search my email contacts for others using Mendeley, but there were none. So, I haven't yet found a group with similar interests. I'll keep looking after I download the iOS apps and the Mac desktop app.

No comments: