Tuesday, September 13, 2011

CPD23 - Thing #15 - Attending, Presenting, Organizing Conferences

In my music profession I've attended and presented at several conferences, and as a member of the NMEA executive board I've helped organize clincis and meetings for my area. I liked the statement about "being inspired" by something at the conference. I remember convention concerts that I've attended that have moved and inspired me. These sessions expand your understanding beyond the walls of your present conceptual box.

What advice would you give to others, based on your experiences?
Pre-plan which sessions you want to attend so that you don't miss the one event that you need the most. But, don't worry about attending every session on your list. Networking with people is an important facet of attending conferences. You'll get to visit with friends you haven't seen since last year's event, and you'll meet new people that can expand your present circle.

Are there conferences you’d like to attend?
I'd like to attend more Mid-West International Band & Orchestra Clinics, CBDNA conferences, and the World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles. Mid-West is THE conference of the year for band director at all levels. You always hear new music and wonderful performances by DC based service bands and outstanding college and high school bands. Great networking, too.

CBDNA is where I go to get musically challenged by new music written for advanced university and professional wind bands. Many times I don't hear music that I owuld ever program, but my consciousness is always expanded, and so I'm a better musician for experiencing the unfamiliar. WASBE pulls the best of CBDNA together with directors and ensembles from all over the globe. There are incredible performances, and exposure to the musical styles of different countries.

No comments: