Wednesday, August 31, 2011

CPD23 - Thing #11 - Mentoring

Thing #11 discusses the importance of mentoring in developing professionally. I've never had a formal mentor, but I greatly appreciate some managers that have helped guide my "career."

One manager was a great friend to all, and who gave me freedom to make mistakes and to develop my reference chops without hovering over my shoulder. He also assigned work tasks that built on my strengths and interests. This manager also provided the opportunity for me to write an article for a professional journal of which he was the editor. Finally, he showed appreciation for me as a person and as a library staffer. He became a non-judgmental friend to whom I could go when I needed to talk.

Another manager also recognized my strengths and interests and encouraged me to plan programs and displays for our library branch. The encouragement allowed me to continue to develop my skills and experience.

I am grateful to both of these managers who took a personal interest in me and who guided me in my professional development.

No comments: