Wednesday, August 31, 2011

CPD23 - Thing #13 - Google Docs, Wikis, and Dropbox

I began using Google Docs in 2007 when I began working on multiple computers at multiple locations. The ability to save and share documents, and have immediate access was of prime importance. On my Google Doc page I have shared photos and records with my son who lives in Virginia. Expanding the Docs page to Google Sites allows for a wiki-like creating/sharing experience. For a community workspace for the board of my adult band I created a Google Site with separate pages for each of our projects. When writing our group's constitution and bylaws we used the site to edit and share various versions of the document. Pretty cool!

Also in 2007 I began using Delicious to bookmark all the webpages I regularly visited and new ones I was saving for a class i was taking. That site worked very well and I could access it on multiple computers. But, I needed to sync documents and other files, and Delicious wasn't as good for that. So, I began using dropbox in 2010 and have installed it on work and home computers and my portable devices as well. I really like it because it will sync the Microsoft Office files that I regularly work with.

I'm glad to hear about Dropbox's sharing abilities and will try using them with my adult band.

No comments: