Wednesday, August 31, 2011

CPD23 - Thing #12 - Social Networking

I've participated in social networking since 2007 and regularly use facebook and twitter. I have a Google+ account, but so far don't like it much. I also have a LinkedIn account. On facebook I belong to several social groups in addition to my friends, and some of these are professional groups aimed at mentoring.

One of these networks is for music teachers within our state. This network is working pretty well as both new and experienced music teachers ask and answer questions. It really helps to have a wonderful moderator who is positive and encouraging.

The advantage of this kind of network is that individuals can ask professional questions anytime during their day and get responses within minutes or hours. Some of the posters teach in small and isolated communities where physical mentors may not be readily available, and where they may be the only one teaching their subject in the district. Now they have a place to go and ask questions.

CPD23 hasn't helped me to make contact with others, and perhaps that's because I didn't reach out. Being a fairly quiet guy I have a hard time typing out to the cloud and trying to engage people that I don't know anything about. So, I think fostering a sense of community may depend on the individual.

No comments: