Monday, August 8, 2011

CPD23 - Thing #7 - F2F or Professional Networks

I have my feet in two professions. My degrees and most of my career have been spent in the Music Education field. I have been a public school and college educator for over 25 years, and started working in the library field about 3 1/2 years ago.

So, my professional memberships are in the Music Education field and include: Music Educators National Conference, Nebraska Music Educators Association, Nebraska State Bandmasters ASsociation, Phi Beta Mu International Bandmasters Fraternity, College Band Directors National Association, American School Band Directors Association, and most recently the Association of Concert Bands.

I receive publications from all of these organizations, most with articles to promote professional development. They cover many topics, including: anaylses of composer's works, methods of teaching instruments, methods of conducting effective rehearsals, planning interesting concerts, making wise equipment purchases, traveling with your ensemble, and so on.

Most of these organizations host yearly professional conferences. I regularly attend those in Nebraska, and occasionaly travel to other cities as well. Usually, I am inspired by a great performance by a featured ensemble or by an especially instructive clinic session. I enjoy seeing colleagues, many of whom I have known for a number of years.

It is my priviledge to have been elected to serve the profession as Research and College/University Affairs Chair for the Nebraska Music Educators Association, and as President of the Nebraska chapter of Phi Beta Mu.

So, I am well versed in the role of Professional Organizations, and their benefit in professional development. And while I am interested in developing my knowledge and service excellence in my current position in the public library, I am not pursuing memberships in professional organizations at this time.

No comments: