Monday, August 1, 2011

Cpd 23 #5 - Reflective Practice

I find true reflective practice to be challenging. Like many others, I am on the go, and have many activites crammed into my life. So, finding, or taking, the time to reflect is difficult.

From the UK version of CPD 23 I learned a simple three- step approach to reflection. 1) What?, 2) So What., 3) Now What? Let's review and reflect on our participation so far.

1) What? we've restarted our dormant blog, viewed colleagues' blogs, considered our public brand, and lookead at some social networking tools.

2) So What? Blogging is a way of onlline sharing our discoveries in this professional development exercise. since we're seperated by distance and are forced to communicate online the blog serves as a good tool for accoomplishing that purpose. Actually, just writing itself is a form of reflection. Hence the diary or journal.

Branding is a concept that I became familiar with a few years ago, although I didn't actively organize my online personna to consolidate it. Since rreading that toopic I have made a few adjustments, notably on my LinkedIn profile, which is dedicated to my music personna. I have more difficulty consolidating my facebook and twitter personnas as they serve for my two careers, librarianship and conducting, and my family and friends as well.

3) Now What? AsI continue to work through the 23 Things I'll keep blogging, perhaps it will become a habit. I'll also read colleagues blog to keep up with their experiences and discover ways that I might continue to grow. I'll keep monitoring my brand on my online social and professional networks and in print media for my conducting.

Whew! That's a lot of reflecting for me. On to the next activity, and on to Thing #6.

No comments: